Sunday, September 2, 2012

Full Term and a Hospital Visit

Anyone want to see what 37 weeks and miserable looks like?


Well here it is. It's not the best picture but with a husband working all the time we forget to take "real" pictures and have to settle with the classic self portrait bathroom shot. Very Classy. 

I was doing great in the pregnancy till this point. I now understand why women are so ready to be done. 
I. HURT. EVERYWHERE. 
I feel large, and icky and just blah. 

What I don't understand is why doctors even tell you that you are "full term" at 37 weeks. This does nothing but get your hopes up and make you anxious everyday until your little bundle arrives. It also makes the following three weeks seem to take FOREVER Because now you are thinking she can come at anytime and why hasn't she yet?! In reality I know I can wait up to 40 weeks for this little beauty but Thursday night she decided to give us a good scare. 

Thursday afternoon I noticed some bleeding and was having pretty strong braxton hicks. I had been having them for a few days now and knew it was just my body getting ready for the real thing. But the blood threw me for a loop so I kept a close eye on the contractions for a bit. After an hour of contractions being less than 6 minutes apart, I called the nurse. Of course she told me to lay down and watch them for another hour and if nothing changes I needed to go to the hospital. I called Zach at work (the ER) to fill him in on what was going on. Then I waited. Another hour went by and the contractions weren't stopping. I decided its better to be safe then sorry and asked my mother in law to take me to the hospital. Sometimes it sucks only having one car. Zach left work and met me there. I finally got checked in and hooked up to all the monitors. 

Once hooked up to the machine, it turned out that my contractions were about TWO minutes apart not six. They were starting to get really uncomfortable. They checked me when I arrived and I was dilated to 1 then an hour later was dilated to 2. The nurses were trying to figure out if I was in "real" labor or just false labor. After they saw that I had dilated and the contractions were not stopping, they called the doctor to get his opinion. Doctor said to give me a shot of morphine and phenergren to again decided if this was real labor or not. It didn't help. And being very sensitive to any sort of drug I instantly felt extremely lightheaded and sick to my stomach. GREAT! Contractions were still coming. Not as strong but still pretty consistent. At this point we thought for sure that we were not leaving that night without a baby. Panic started to set it. 

Called the doctor again and this time he said to give me a shot to stop the labor. Why they waited so long to give me it before I don't know. So I got the shot, waited 15 minutes and the contractions started to slow down. Then they gave me another shot to get them to completely stop and they sent me home. I was completely drugged and got car sick on the way home. I could barely reach the bathroom before all the yummy hospital jello I enjoyed decided to come back up. yuck. 

The good news is that I was so hung over from the drugs that I had the best nights sleep of my pregnancy. I'm pretty sure I slept for 10 hours straight, without even getting up to pee! 

Now had I been over 37 weeks they would have done nothing to stop the labor and just let me have the baby but considering I was just a few days shy of 37 weeks they want to keep her cooking as long as possible. So with all that being said. I am basically on bed rest until my water breaks. 
I am still having regular contractions, some more painful than others. So really it could be any day now. .. 

I have a doctors appointment Tuesday to check things out again. 
I know this super attractive picture of my dinner and my high as a kite was exactly what you wanted to see. 
You're welcome.

No comments: