Sunday, June 30, 2013

A weekend without water

This past weekend we were alerted that there was bacteria in our tap water and it was no longer safe to use. Which made it perfect because it was also the hottest weekend we have had all summer (so far). Awesome.

Do you ever stop and think, even for just a second, how lucky you are to have running water? I know it was one thing I took for granted. You don't realize how much you use water through out the day. Brushing your teeth, washing hands, baby formula, washing bottles and other dishes, cooking, drinking, cleaning messy faces, and showering. None of this could be done without boiling the water or drinking bottled water. What a process it was to wash dishes or give Madison a bath.

Strangely enough, I think it was just what I needed. Sometimes this very forgetful girl needs a smack upside the head to remind herself how blessed she is. These moments seem to be happening often, which in itself I am thankful for. Being grateful for the small daily things helps put me in a better mood and more willing to help those around me. When I was younger I wrote in a journal almost daily. The one thing I would remember to include is something that my friend and I came up with that we like to call "Our Simple Pleasures". At the end of each entry we write 3 things for that day that we are thankful for. They can be anything, seriously anything. I remember one time writing that I was thankful for a Popsicle on a hot day. So that being said, I think I will re-start that tradition and close every post with 3 things I am thankful for.

1. Thankful that my family didn't get sick after the bacteria in the water.
2. Air conditioning keeping me sane in this triple digit weather.
3. The sun setting so late and giving more time to be outside.

So even if you don't write them down, every night before you go to sleep, think of just 3 little things that made you happy today.

No comments: