Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Feeling blessed

Today I am feeling extremely blessed. I look down at the sleeping 7 month old in my arms and I think, how lucky am I to be her mom. She is the perfect baby. Of course I could complain that she whines often, she hates taking naps, and she craves attention but I am constantly rewarded with smiles and loves for my efforts as a Mom. 

I think about how lucky I am and how truly blessed I am to have her in my life. I think about how much she has changed my life and the person I am. I want to be better because of her. I know of so many family members and friends that have struggled with infertility, miscarriages, pregnancy, labor and motherhood. I am thankful to say that even though Madison came 3 weeks early; nothing was wrong. She was perfect and able to come home from the hospital right away. My labor and delivery was a dream. I guess what I am saying is that I'm not strong enough for a "real big trial". Thankfully, my Heavenly Father knows me very well and will give me what I can handle.

My heart breaks for my friends whose children have to remain in the hospital and have surgery. I feel like lately my life has been surrounded with babies that are in need of extra blessings. I feel for the parents and commend their strength in these situations. My friends that are still trying for the babies waiting in heaven, they will soon come. Have faith. 

I used to talk to Zach when he got home from work every night about the events of the evening at the ER. Since being a mother, those talks have become less and less. I cry at everything and I mean everything. He sees tragic events and death almost daily.  It hurts my heart to think of a sick or hurt child. That being said it has also really grown our testimonies. Zach will tell you that the families that know and understand God's plan are so much more calm and loving during these hard times. It is because we know as members of the church, there is life after this. The people that think that there is nothing after this life, they are distraught and heartbroken. 

 It has really strengthened my love of the gospel and God's plan for each of us. I know we will be reunited with our love ones again. I know that I am sealed to Zach, Madison and my other future children for time and all eternity... and there is nothing they can do about it. 

I know we are given trials for a reason. I know we are given blessings for a reason. I know that not every person will go through the same things in life which is what makes us all so beautiful and different. I know that if we are doing the things we are asked to do, we will be blessed. When things are difficult it sometimes isn't easy to see why this is happening and we question "why me?".  Sometimes it isn't till after the trial has passed that we can see the bigger picture. When things get hard stop for a moment and think of just one simple blessing you have. 

When I was younger I would write in my journal almost every day and at the bottom of each entry I would write my 3 Simple Pleasures for the day. They were just that, simple pleasures. A cold ice cream on a hot day. Being able to crunch the leaves on my walk home. Running up hill without stopping. Things that you may not think twice about. By doing this it opened my eyes to the many (and sometimes very simple) blessings we are given every day. These simple pleasures are really blessings. I was able to have ice cream because my family had money to provide for us. I was able to hear the crunch of the leaves. I had legs that work properly and lungs that can let me breath without stopping. 

I suggest that any one who reads this blog try to find 3 simple pleasures every day, you will see how quickly your life will change by doing this. Your outlook on life will be so much brighter.

Have faith. Pray often. It works.




Sorry for the ramble tonight. I just feel like I needed to get that out for some reason.

1 comment:

Shelley said...

I don't blame you for not wanting to hear those sad stories. They break my heart too!! I was heartbroken and sobbing for weeks after the Sandy Hook shootings.